Fri Oct 31 01:43:08 SAST 2014
Switch off appliances to avoid power cuts tonight

Power utility Eskom on Wednesday called on consumers to switch off geysers, pool pumps and all non-e.

Devastated mom's years of agony

By Nomaswazi Nkosi | Mar 20, 2012 | COMMENTS [ 157 ]

A SOWETO mother has told of her grief at not finding justice since her only daughter was murdered more than two years ago.

Winnie Mogaki has worked tirelessly to fight for justice since her 23-year-old daughter, Nompumelelo Mogaki, was found murdered and stuffed in the boot of her car on the morning of September 30 2009.

"My daughter was always responsible. She always let me know if she would be out or late back home, which was not often," Winnie Mogaki says.

Nompumelelo had gone to work and told her mother she wanted to go to a shopping mall in Jabulani, Soweto, and then visit some relatives afterwards, after having promised to be back by early evening.

She did not return home that night and her cellphone was off. Concerned, Mogaki decided to go to work the next morning and wait to call her daughter's work number later in the morning.

Nompumelelo, who was affectionately known as Mpumi, had not arrived at work by 8.15am, which was unusual for her, says her mother. "I told my boss what was happening and he told me to go report her missing at Protea Glen police station," she says.

She called her daughter's vehicle tracking company to see if they could track the location of the car. The tracking company found the car parked in the driveway of a house in Protea Glen, where the Mogaki family home is also situated.

"When they told me that they found the car at a house in Protea Glen, I got excited, thinking she was home and I had nothing to worry about. I asked for the address but they gave me the address of a house that I don't know in Protea Glen."

She and a friend immediately rushed to the house.

When they arrived at the address, they found the navy blue BMW parked in the driveway.

The car was locked and they could see Mpumi's sunglasses and purse in the vehicle. Mogaki went to fetch the spare keys at home so they could open the car.

When they opened the car they made a gruesome discovery.

Mogaki says she collapsed after discovering her daughter's lifeless body in the boot.

"I kept calling her name, hoping she would wake up and I thought she was drugged and asked someone if they could throw some water on her face so it could wake her," she says.

There was no evidence of any sexual assault and the only signs of injury were strangulation marks on Mpumi's neck.

Mogaki says a neighbour told her he saw someone park the car at that house very early that morning before he jumped into another car and drove off.

This happened almost four years ago, yet the case has not been expedited even though a suspect - Mpumi's ex-boyfriend - was arrested for her murder.

Since 2009, Mogaki has been to the Protea Magistrate's Court and the Johannesburg High Court many times. The suspect was denied bail by the Protea Magistrate's Court and then the matter was taken to the high court, where he was granted bail.

The case has been postponed numerous times since then and was eventually withdrawn from the high court on February 29.

"We had to withdraw charges against the accused because our crucial witness turned against us and another was shot, leaving us with no prospects of a successful prosecution," says National Prosecuting Authority spokesman Mthunzi Mhaga.

One of the many issues the case has faced is the murder of investigating officer Major Moses Segapo, who was also the lead investigator of the Molemo "Jub Jub" Maarohanye case.

"The justice system is failing us," Mogaki says.

@Dzel

True, we leave a lot of information around and these bloody suckers retrieve it to sell us all kinds of krap. Who says I need burial insurance?

Mar 20, 2012 10:29 | 0 replies

@2virgins

point of the matter is i dont why you would not look in the boot and you basing your arguement on shaky grounds, what would you say if she didnt check the boot huh? that she knew she was there and didnt wanna open??? this is gonna numb my brain for real

there is so much to go on i dont understand why it would take so long, failure to give a da.mn!

Mar 20, 2012 11:25 | 0 replies

Sowetan I would like to know why my comments are being blocked? This is frustrating,I didnt swear ..whats wrong.

Mar 20, 2012 11:30 | 0 replies

Naked
Then swear!

Mar 20, 2012 11:37 | 0 replies

MommaC
My heart goes out to her. Not having any closure is just ripping her heart out every day. The justice system has serious flaws which seem to be designed to victimise the victims instead of protecting them..... and then the cops don't understand when vigilante violence occurs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your hear means nothing to this lady, what closure are you talking about, after burrying her she should had closure. she is dead, stone dead!

Mar 20, 2012 11:40 | 0 replies

Eish its a sad story indeed, ladies stop staying in an abusive relationship for long time, sometimes it leads to murder if its true the boyfriend is guilty

Mar 20, 2012 11:43 | 0 replies

We know things are bad, worse than bad. They're crazy. Its like everything everywhere is going crazy so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house and slowly the world were living in is getting smaller and all we say is please at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel belted radios and I wont say anything, just leave us alone. Well I'm not going to leave you alone. I want you to get mad! I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window, open it and stick your head out and yell, I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore! You've got to say, Im a human being god damn it, my life has value

Source: Howard Beale

Mar 20, 2012 11:49 | 0 replies

Njompi,
DZel. this mobile girls think they are all that with their fancy dark glasses behind the wheel
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. It’s obvious you did not know her and therefore are in no position to comment on her behaviour,
2. Your comments are based on ill-informed assumptions and generalisation,
3. You sound like someone who hates women of her calibre because you are unable to tap into that segment.

A quick word for you, stop player hating and up your game but given how you think it does not sound like you are the charming type, it sounds like you have issues dude. This is a tragedy, please don’t make this about your insecurities.

Mar 20, 2012 11:53 | 0 replies

being ra.ped
forced into marrying the mo.nster
blamed for ra.pe
physical and emotional abuse
He parents's betrayal
No one on her side--- It ws too much! I would killll myself too

Mar 20, 2012 11:54 | 0 replies
Mar 20, 2012 11:56 | 0 replies

@Naked

wrong article my angel.....!

Mar 20, 2012 11:57 | 0 replies