Tue Sep 02 16:08:48 SAST 2014

Teacher loses 1 month's pay for hitting child

By Sapa | Mar 12, 2012 | COMMENTS [ 26 ]

8-year-old Benjamin Amogelang Nakedi was hit five times on the hand with a blackboard duster for being rowdy in class

A Brits teacher has pleaded guilty to assaulting a grade 1 pupil in an internal education department hearing, it was reported on Monday.

The teacher, Tebogo Marothodi of Frikkie Smit Primary in Skeerpoort near Brits in the North West, had a month’s pay docked as punishment, The Times reported.

She still faces a criminal charge of assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm in the Brits Magistrate’s Court.

The child, eight-year-old Benjamin Amogelang Nakedi, said he was hit five times with a black board duster on the right hand for being rowdy in class. The incident happened last year.

The boy spent a week in hospital and needed two operations to remove a wood chip embedded in his thumb.

His family has filed a civil claim against the education department for R300,000 to cover hospital expenses, pain and suffering.

yo yo yooooo operation for being hit by a duster? ( whatever happened to a niddle to remove that splinter?) and a R300 000 claim on top. and the boy was rowdy?? man my std 4 teacher would have given me 10 good ones on my behind and then tell my father who would have added to the beating.

Mar 12, 2012 11:22 | 0 replies

Kids these day, rona ne ba re betha goed and never report to our parents coz you know they will just hit you more and we turned out ok. they don't wan to be hit and yet ke nonsense tsa bana.nxa

Mar 12, 2012 2:19 | 0 replies

jail the bastard including DA sheep...

Mar 12, 2012 2:44 | 0 replies

Not condoning what the teacher did, funny how DoE acted swiftly on this one and even docked the teacher's salary.

Se.x pests are on the loose in schoold, suspended with pay until an inquiry has been done................ You aks yourself which is the worst crime, statutory ra.pe or discipline...............

Mar 12, 2012 2:53 | 0 replies

Se.x pests are on the loose in schools, suspended with pay until an inquiry has been completed ............ You ask yourself which is the worst crime, statutory ra.pe or discipline...............

Mar 12, 2012 2:58 | 0 replies

The topic should read [a teacher lost 1 testicle for hitting a child]

Mar 12, 2012 3:18 | 0 replies

Goodness, in hospital for a few smacks on the hand - hmm, brings back lots of memories of painful behinds, twisted ears, swollen palms, etc, spending lots of time in the principal' office - but it made me tough, and I am sure a better person- mommac - hilarious! (ps. remember getting a hell of a hiding for breaking the fingernail of my gr. 2 teacher (with loooong red nails), when she hit my bottom for not spelling a word correct!) No complaining to mommy then ...

Mar 12, 2012 3:27 | 0 replies

@RobinH
Although I do not condone corporal punishment in schools, one must also be realistic. It happens. And with respect, we seem to be breeding a nation of complete wimps. But we all survived and most of my schoolmates have made a fair go of their careers. With respect, this is pathetic.
===============================================================================
Welcome to my club

Mar 12, 2012 3:44 | 0 replies

It was actually supposed to be @least five months without salary or else He resign. Bt anyway thanx for a bit punishment.

Mar 12, 2012 4:3 | 0 replies

Akonbye - "anyway thanx for a bit punishment."

Yeah, next time he mo3rs an unruly child and gets docked a month of pay, I will pay his salary.

Mar 12, 2012 4:7 | 0 replies

Bolander

Tjo. You learned very early not to tell mommy when you had gotten a hiding at school.

First day of school I got into a fight (before the flippin first bell had even rung for class). Went home and told my mom that I had got a hiding from the principal (I thought it was very unfair as I was not in the wrong) and my mom gave me another hiding. When my dad got home my mom told him and I got a THIRD hiding. From then on it was tjoeps still about anything that happened at school

Mar 12, 2012 4:48 | 0 replies