Fri Sep 19 01:45:55 SAST 2014
5 things you should know about this week

It's very difficult to keep track of news amongst hundreds of headlines a day. So we will pick out t.

Baby to have decent burial

By Boitumelo Tshehle | Feb 02, 2012 | COMMENTS [ 10 ]

A LIMPOPO businessman and the Rustenburg local municipality have come to the rescue of a mother who was unable to bury her newborn baby because she had no money.

Nothini Pholoholo, pictured, of Boitekong in Rustenburg, lost her baby a few hours after giving birth last week. She has accused nurses at Boitekong Medical Centre of negligence.

Pholoholo's problems were compounded by the fact that her family had no money to bury the baby.

The mortuary where the baby had been kept wanted R1,000 before it would release the body.

Businessman Rita Hlungwani donated R1,000 to the family yesterday for the mortuary expenses.

Rustenburg mayor Mpho Khunou said they would take full responsibility for the burial.

Their response followed a Sowetan story highlighting Pholoholo's plight.

Hlungwani, the brother of late gospel singer Jay Hlungwani, said yesterday she felt sad after reading the story in Sowetan.

"I am doing this in honour of my late brother Jay Hlungwani, who was a giver and who taught us to do so in his absence. God the holy spirit had a hand in my behaving the way I did," he said.

Khunou said: "We will pay all the funeral costs and we will also assist the mother where-ever we can."

Pholoholo could not hold back her tears as she thanked Hlungwani and Khunou.

"Finally my baby will have a decent burial," she said.

but stop making bana le wena maan!

Feb 02, 2012 11:38 | 0 replies

"I am doing this in honour of my late brother Jay Hlungwani, who was a giver and who taught us to do so in his absence. God the holy spirit had a hand in my behaving the way I did," God bless you abundantly Rita. The power of the sun is not diminished by the number of people who bask under it.

Feb 02, 2012 2:12 | 0 replies

the brother being a she, jah ne english

Feb 02, 2012 2:7 | 0 replies

'Hlungwani, the brother of late gospel singer Jay Hlungwani, said yesterday she felt sad after reading the story in Sowetan'

Can someone plesse tell me what is wrong with the statement above?????English is very difficult language I'm telling you.

Feb 02, 2012 1:8 | 0 replies

Well Mr/Mrs moderator, truth hurts ne!!! Anyway still correct the English of the writer of the column...its totally wrong wheteher you flag my comments or not!!!!

Feb 02, 2012 1:2 | 0 replies

Blessed is the hand that giveth, so the Holy Bible says... Well done guys for opening your hearts to the less priveledged... Malapa ga a lekane!!!

Feb 02, 2012 12:51 | 0 replies

I did not know that Sowetan as well has entered into " Touching Lives" Agenda to increase your CSI work you need to do real work, you don't get scores at the expence of others, Sowetan should have helped the poor woman, give her something in the meantime, like what Mr Angry Klaaster use to do, building the nation.

Feb 02, 2012 12:27 | 0 replies

they just encouraged her to go and make another one....useless woman...

Feb 02, 2012 12:23 | 0 replies

Excellent, This is great news. Thanks for the update, Sowetan.

Feb 02, 2012 12:20 | 0 replies

@Bongers, ' he' "felt sad after reading the story in the Sowetan"? Right .. ?

Feb 02, 2012 9:23 | 0 replies