Fri Oct 24 11:37:36 SAST 2014
Connie returns to save troubled Generations

Connie Ferguson has confirmed that she will be returning to Generations after weeks of dodging circu.

'I will win the top prize'

By Mogomotsi Selebi | Jan 12, 2012 | COMMENTS [ 11 ]

PALESA Masuku is not surprised at having been chosen as one of the finalists of the science fair in London later this year.

Masuku, 16, will be joined by four other South African students at the London Science Fair, which will run from August 16. They'll be joined by students from across the globe.

"I'm very confident of coming back with the top prize," said a beaming Masuku of Moruleng village, near Rustenburg, North West.

Her project, which won her the trip to England, is quite a simple one.

"I took dried seeds of a Morula tree, put them in a tin and on the fire for 30 minutes. The result is charcoal, that maintains heat for about two hours," she said.

"I figured that I could come up with something that would save energy. I have always been intrigued by science and I'm glad that my experiment has won me a place in the finals."

Though highly fascinated by science, Masuku's passion lies in medicine.

"I'd like to study medicine and become a doctor, but I'm open to other fields. I realise that there are a whole lot of careers out there, but for now my passion is medicine," she said.

It is hardly surprising that Masuku, the only child of a science and information technology teacher, is one of the brightest students at JM Ntsime high school.

"I have won every academic award since Grade 1. I'm happy with my progress so far and hope to achieve even more," she said.

At the rate Masuku is going there is little doubt that she'll reach her goals.

Well done gal I'm so proud of you all the best in London I wish all the youngsters were just like you.

Jan 12, 2012 10:9 | 0 replies

@Truth-Hurts,i don't understand your point who is blaming men here??? except you trying to change my statement to suit you.Believe me even women can destroy good loving men out there!! o.k ..I get your point too."even women can destroy men out there"

Jan 12, 2012 3:11 | 0 replies

@ Dimpho_4U, Ok point taken, when everthing goes wrong men are to be blamed, i'm sick and tired of always hearing that you know.

Jan 12, 2012 3:6 | 0 replies

You go girl, show them that you can go from "sphatlho to hamburger"

Jan 12, 2012 2:41 | 0 replies

@Truth-Hurts
for your information,i'm in a loving relationship..my boy i'm not hurt nor anything in your psychotic vocabulary....it is known through research that young females in "particular" 1st year,often drop out of school because of the following factors : lack of funds 2 continue with school,failure and pregnancy,wrong relationships and association.I was wishing her well,but also be aware of things that may counter attack here success!!

Jan 12, 2012 2:35 | 0 replies

My guess is that she might have learned that from her granny. I stand corrected. Nothing wrong with that. In fact it is a good thing. In winter my granny used to bake small rocks in the fire for me and wrapped them with paper so that I could warm my hands.

Well done girl. Speaking about... by the way, the MORULA tree, not MARULA tree. I learned that every part of it is very much usable, not just for bojalwa, but for medical purposes like skin treatment and other ailments.

Jan 12, 2012 2:29 | 0 replies

ke ngwana mistress gape

Jan 12, 2012 2:2 | 0 replies

@ Dimpho_4U, should have sumthin unlike say we man retla mosenyetsa future, banna+basadi rs tshwana re senyetsana future, just because you were hurt by one so you think all men are the, get a life

Jan 12, 2012 1:58 | 0 replies

You go Girl!!! BRAVO!

Jan 12, 2012 12:14 | 0 replies

Keep up the good work ,my gal..o tlogele basimane! and focus on your goals!!! well done

Jan 12, 2012 11:3 | 0 replies

Truth-Hurts & dimpho_4U: Just congratulate the young woman and leave it at that. You two are completely missing the point.

Jan 12, 2012 3:13 | 0 replies