Join 'FoodBank' to help fight hunger
Nov 22, 2011 | Sowetan | 10 comments
SOWETAN-Pick n Pay Partnership against hunger:
- About 20% of households - a staggering 11 million people - have inadequate access to food.
- One in five children in South Africa under the age of nine suffers from stunted growth as a result of malnutrition.
- That's why South Africa's priority in addressing poverty must be "Food First".
- FoodBank was formed in 2009 to achieve the vision of "a South Africa without hunger and malnutrition".
- In its first two years FoodBank SA donated 32 million meals worth an estimated R121-million.
- FoodBank SA supplies food to 1059 other community based organisation countrywide.
- These 1059 organisations have 203000 beneficiaries - mostly orphans and vulnerable children.
- FoodBank SA is able to provide meals for just R1.68 per meal.
- Don't wait, hunger doesn't.
- Ways for the public to get involved: Join "wheels for meals" or "lose an inch for someone in a pinch" or "feat for food" of Fill the Gap Club?
- Another way to help - host a dinner and let your friends pay what they thought the meal was worth and donate it to FoodBank.
- SMS "foodbank" to 40421 to donate R20 instantly.