Sat Oct 25 18:44:17 SAST 2014
'Big Brother' snoozers should be losers

JUST how do Mozambican Trezagah, Zambian Macky2, Malawian Mr 265 and Zimbabwean Butterphly survive i.

Sponsors fail Simphiwe Dana's Black Culture Education Tour

By Andile Ndlovu | Apr 13, 2011 | COMMENTS [ 12 ]

SINGER Simphiwe Dana had such a poor response from possible sponsors for her Black Culture Education Tour that she had to dig deep into her own pockets to keep it going.

Dana, who announced the a six-city orchestral tour in February, has even occasionally used Twitter to ask for donations.

As much as the tour gets her music to the masses, the Mayine songstress said she started the tour to help, in her own way, redress the country's illiteracy challenges, which she said had "reached crisis levels".

But the tour has been dogged by lack of sponsorship and fluctuating attendances at her shows nationwide.

The initial aim was to visit various schools in Pretoria, Durban, Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, Bloemfontein and East London on the tour.

Dana planned to charge for her shows at schools, and fans were asked to bring old books for donations.

She planned to revisit schools to give motivational talks to pupils, teachers and parents in the communities.

But the sponsors did not come to the party, Dana said.

"I've just realised that people have no concern but for their own lives, and I was guilty of that - we're just not wired that way, I guess," she said.

"I have even approached people that I know are wealthy and can help, but people have become desensitised."

Dana is touring with the same orchestra she played with during the shooting of her live DVD late last year, and has been performing hits from all three award-winning albums Zandisile (2004), One Love Movement on Bantu Biko Street (2006) and her current album Kulture Noir.

But with such a huge touring party, she has seen charges for accommodation, booking of venues and appearance fees of the performers soar.

Former Metro FM producer and presenter Lupi Ngcayisa, who travelled with Dana on school visits, said yesterday he was proud of her.

All she has to do is to align herself with ANC and she will see miracles, this is MZANTSI sana!!
Its all about who u know and what is in for them in your project.

Apr 13, 2011 6:59 | 0 replies

Wish I could help out, Keep Up the good work Dana& we proud of u. Pls Sponsors come on board.

Apr 13, 2011 12:21 | 0 replies

Hayi lo mntana !!! Undichaza x'esithi "Xa uthi gqi ngam esigangeni usazi isono sam kuba lilolo" ku Kulture Noire (i-album yakhe entsha). It's not cool she could not get a sponsor for this community upliftment project.

Apr 13, 2011 12:17 | 0 replies

Name and Shame sister, these people need to be exposed and find other sponsors, period!!!.

Apr 13, 2011 11:21 | 0 replies

I have a feeling that Simphiwe is bitter. I was watching the interview on Motswako the other and she commented that south africans are not supportive as people from other countries. I found that very snobish. Why such an inference.

Apr 13, 2011 10:28 | 0 replies

all the best Simphiwe go to Arts and culture for sponsorship

Apr 13, 2011 8:51 | 0 replies

But their marketing is bad and they must stop limiting their events to certain provinces. She cant do this whole thing on her own ke Mzanzi mo artists dnt earn as much as ko USA. all the best

Apr 13, 2011 8:19 | 0 replies

@CheeseBoy,
i fully agree with you bro.... these rich guys only play a role when it comes to destroying the youth.

they should be ashamed of themselves!

Apr 13, 2011 8:0 | 0 replies

Leave her alone, Simphiwe Dana's heart is in the right place

so often sponsors are quick to fund parties and events where kids drink alcohol but when it comes to a community building event there are nowhere to be seen.

makes you wonder huh?

Apr 13, 2011 7:33 | 0 replies

I did attend her show here in Bloemfontein with my family and I must say the lady has improved a lot! She is no longer boring on stage and she can actually move...! I just hope the sponsors can come to her rescue and support her noble course. The tickets might just come down as they are not so affordable to the majority of her fans. There was also some confusion as to where our donated books were to be handed to. She also unearthed a local secondary school youngster who shared a stage with her. I wish you all of the best Simphiwe...ungadinwe!

Apr 13, 2011 7:31 | 0 replies

Simphiwe Dana, can I ask you something please. Why do you need help from others to provide a helping hand? Can’t you just do it without causing a scene? Please don’t behave like a politician now. Will you still say it’s Simphiwe Dana who gave a helping hand after you are sponsored?

Stop this publicity stunt and give a helping hand where you can; if you don’t have anything, don’t make noise.

Apr 13, 2011 7:19 | 0 replies