Tips on how to avoid electrical fires
Avoid using several high-amp appliances such as irons or heat producing appliances on the same circuit
WINTER hardly ever goes by without people burning down their shacks and homes due to negligence, while trying to keep themselves warm.
This happens because people do not maintain the safety standards required by law when it comes to electrical connections.
Three orphans burnt to death in their home last week, allegedly due to faulty electrical connections.
Nazeer Hoosen, executive director of PPS Short-Term Insurance, says insurance policy-holders must ensure that their appliances and homes comply with the required standards of usage in case their house or goods are damaged by fire to avoid unnecessary repudiation of their claims.
USEFUL TIPS ON HOW TO AVOID THE RISK OF ELECTRICAL FIRES IN THE HOME:
Every house should have a fire extinguisher. Never use water to put out an electrical fire because water conducts electricity and can cause the fire to get even bigger;
Always use a registered electrical contractor to work on electrical installations;
Avoid using several high-ampage appliances (such as irons or heat producing appliances) on the same circuit;
Dimmed lights, reduced output from heaters and poor television pictures can be symptoms of an overloaded circuit;
Avoid plugging two appliances into the same outlet or circuit if together they exceed 1000W. Examples of such appliances include: refrigerators, air conditioners, hotplates, irons, microwave ovens, dishwashers;
Clean the tumbledryer thoroughly as a blocked or dirty lint filter can catch fire or set fire to clothes;
Be cautious when drilling holes or driving nails into walls, hitting or damaging electrical wires;
When using an extension cord be sure the cord's capacity matches the appliance or device plugged into it. Feel the extension cord while it's in use; if it is warm or hot, replace it with a cord of greater capacity;
Do not use extension cords that are frayed or cracked or coiled up and never run extension cords under carpets;
Install light bulbs with wattage equal to or below any fixture's maximum wattage;
Dispose of or repair appliances or devices that blow fuses or trip circuit breakers; and
Never leave a pan cooking unattended on an electric stove.