Ways to manage stress at work
YOU can reduce job stress by learning how to manage your time and your duties at work.
Think about what triggers stress at work. Then focus on what you can do that will help to reduce the stress. Here are some ideas:
You and your boss
Meet your manager at least once a year (every three or six months is even better) to talk about your job and performance. If a performance review is part of your job, treat it as a chance to clear up issues that may be causing stress for you.
Here are some questions to ask:
- What is expected of me?
- Where is the company going and how do I fit into that plan?
- How am I doing? What are my strengths? How can I improve?
- What can I expect from you if there's a problem with my work or job?
- If I continue to do well, how and when can I expect to be rewarded?
- You and your job
- Get organised. Keep track of projects and deadlines by making a list of what's urgent. Decide what matters most and what can wait.
- Don't put things off. Use a schedule planner to plan your day or week. Just seeing on paper that there is time to get each task done can help you get to work. Break a large project into small steps, then set a deadline for each one.
- Learn to say "no". Don't overcommit yourself.
- Focus. Do one thing at a time. In some cases, you can do two things at a time. But if you start to feel stressed, go back to doing one thing at a time.
- Concentrate. Try to limit distractions and interruptions.
- Delegate. Ask someone to do a task.
Take care of yourself
Make time for yourself. Leave your work at the office.
Leave your cellphone at work if you can, or don't answer it during times you've set aside for you and your family. Don't check work e-mails at home.
Stay positive. Remember that everyone has good and bad days at work.
Reward yourself. When you finish a difficult task, celebrate. Enjoy a snack at your desk, or if your job permits, take a short walk or visit a co-worker.
Schedule time for fun. If you spend every second working, you may resent not having time for yourself.
If your boss offers a flexible work schedule, use it in a way that fits your work style. Go to work earlier and take a longer lunch break to go for a yoga class or a walk.
Practice breathing and relaxation techniques. Do these at home or in a quiet place at work.