Keep your bones healthy
I HAVE a question about osteoporosis.
The word osteoporosis comes from the Greek word "osteon" meaning "bone" and "poros" meaning "hole". In other words, someone with osteoporosis has bones filled with holes, which become thin and weak.
Many doctors believe that it is important to make sure that your bones are as strong as they can be by the time you are 30. Here are some things you can do to improve the health of your bones:
- Make sure you eat enough calcium;
- Get enough vitamin D - sunlight is an excellent source of this vitamin;
- Exercise - the best ones to prevent osteoporosis are walking, dancing, jogging, stair-climbing, racquet sports and hiking;
- Don't smoke - if you do smoke, then quit;
- Do not drink too much alcohol; and
- Keep your caffeine consumption in check, so not too much coffee and cold drinks. -