Thu Oct 27 08:51:49 SAST 2016

Word on the street: Show me your friends

By Pastor Tumo Marabe | Aug 21, 2014 | COMMENTS [ 29 ]

Proverbs 18:24 “A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother”

The friends you keep play a major role in both the quality and direction of your life. It is important, therefore to deliberately cultivate and nurture only friendships that will steer you in the course of your destiny.

Good friends are positive, supportive and non judgemental. They are not afraid to tell you the truth.

Bad friends on the other hand are manipulative, destructive and negative thinkers.

In as much as we all need companionship; friendships we keep should never be to the detriment of our well-being.

The Bible speaks about a friend who sticks closer than a brother; and I believe that friend is the Son of God Himself.

He will never leave you nor forsake you. He'll never let you down either. ‘S'true's God’.

After all, His name is faithful and true. Do consider and everlasting friendship with Him today.

There are people God put here on earth to help you reach your destiny.

Those are the people you must seek out and whose friendship you must cultivate.

Some are older than you, some your age and some younger. There are even who are of the opposite gender or a different race. But they all have this in common: commitment to and concern for your advancement in this life.

The best thing about this kind of people is that they are not looking to be paid back in any way.

You will find them when you decide to look for them. You might even discover that they were in your life all along!

Here's a prayer you might want to repeat:

Jesus, Son of God, I seek your friendship and salvation

I believe that you are truly God's Son

Today I accept you as my best friend and Saviour.

Help find other friends that are committed to my advancement.

Thank you Lord. Amen

Amen!! Where is Dubulaamanzi and Wordy?

Aug 21, 2014 8:21 | 0 replies

Bad company corrupts good behaviour

Aug 21, 2014 8:46 | 0 replies
Aug 21, 2014 9:5 | 0 replies

thank you SOWETAN!!

Aug 21, 2014 9:11 | 0 replies
Aug 21, 2014 9:21 | 1 replies

Comments can't go thhrough

Aug 21, 2014 9:40 | 1 replies

Sowetan maintenance team must be suspended,The_Baw should issue an apology!

Aug 21, 2014 9:45 | 1 replies

one day of trouble and u guys already feel like its the end of yours worlds?

Aug 21, 2014 11:26 | 0 replies

Testing comments

Aug 21, 2014 9:50 | 0 replies

I will do that

Aug 21, 2014 11:18 | 0 replies

Hey bloggers. We apologise for this. Our guys seem to have spotted the problem and it is now resolved. Please help us by clicking on 'REPORT ABUSE' on comments that may offend you, or seem like a direct attack. This will help keep the comment thread clean.

Aug 21, 2014 11:31 | 2 replies

That's my girl, apology accepted and thank you for giving us these articles, you are doing a great job. If you continue like this i will buy you a good present on your birthday!

Aug 21, 2014 11:36 | 0 replies

In this article I am going to click on 'REPORT ABUSE' when skwamasamabele comes here.

Aug 21, 2014 11:38 | 1 replies

Hehe I will join you in doing that!

Aug 21, 2014 11:44 | 0 replies

Sowetan - as it is Women's Month, and we have a bit of an abuse problem, would it not be wise to have something said about that? We are also a diverse nation so maybe an Islamiic, Buddhist, tradiitional leader or Hindii opinion on the same subject could be considered? If nothing else, it may help with the awful intolerance we seem to be plagued with.

Aug 21, 2014 12:0 | 2 replies

Although I don't particularly like religion, isn't it a bit offensive to consider the name of various religions to be too obscene to use in a comment?

Aug 21, 2014 12:1 | 0 replies

Could you please stop rushing Sowetan, they know what they are doing.

Aug 21, 2014 12:16 | 1 replies

I'm not 'rushing' anyone. I'm making a suggestion. Or do you think that hating on women and other religions is a good thing?

Aug 21, 2014 1:22 | 1 replies

Hehe, thanks Dubulaamanzi. @MommaC, thanks for your suggestion. Well noted. There is something in the pipeline to end Women's month next week - but will add diversity from other religious leaders as well. Have a great day further.

Aug 21, 2014 1:26 | 2 replies

Thanks, Baws. Glad you understood where I was coming from

Aug 21, 2014 1:48 | 0 replies

But there was nothing in the Pipe line to end mans month last month , We call it discrimination , To you Momma C Do you want to win something like Speru5 ok I vote for you

Aug 21, 2014 2:9 | 1 replies

Huh? I'm not sure I understand what you are on about. I dislike religion but, if it can be used to get people to be nicer to eachother, it should be used to the full. If you want the message to be about how to be a better man, make the suggestion. It is a free country, nobody is going to be upset if you ask for a specific subject to be addressed.

Aug 21, 2014 2:18 | 0 replies

Anti-Christs will complain with stupid things!

Aug 21, 2014 3:5 | 1 replies

Is that your excuse for complaining all the time?

Aug 21, 2014 3:13 | 1 replies

Am I complaining! I catch the first one

Aug 21, 2014 3:43 | 1 replies

Yes, you are complaining. I just made a suggestion. You and Mshovekahle are the ones whining like an ex wife

Aug 21, 2014 3:46 | 1 replies

You'll be fine. Go home and get a hot shower then you'll feel relieved. Oh! will help you if you need Jesus!

Aug 21, 2014 4:9 | 1 replies

Does Jesus do the dishes or ironing?

Aug 21, 2014 4:26 | 0 replies

ukuhamba ukubona or ukuzwa @Sowetan and @the_baws,izwi lenkosi selibizwa ngokuthi "word on the street" manje beningenza kangcono kunalokhu yazi. Anisazihluphi nokuthi mhlampe nithi "today's wise word" okanye noma nikhethe eliphi ke kepha lizwakale kangcono kunalento yestaladi

Aug 21, 2014 4:10 | 0 replies