Tue Oct 21 21:58:17 SAST 2014
'Pineapple juice' price to drop in November

Petrol price is set for another decrease in November..

'Patience is a virtue'

By Dimakatso Motau | Jan 07, 2013 | COMMENTS [ 21 ]

Being homeless for two years taught Viljoenskroon-born comedian Chris Mapane, 28, that patience is a virtue.

Mapane, who first came to Johannesburg in 2003 for tertiary studies, didn't know that it was tough to survive in this city.

"Being the first one in my family to go to university in 2004 was a highlight, because I was their only hope of breaking the cycle of poverty since we grew up in dire poverty. My single mother struggled to raise four kids on her own," he says.

But failing the second year for his industrial engineering degree in 2005 at the University of the Witwatersrand, got him expelled and his bursary cancelled.

"So I registered for a Bachelor of Arts degree in 2006. But because I did not have stable accommodation I decided it was best to quit my studies," he says.

Mapane turned to being an MC when a friend encouraged him to try out comedy in 2006. It worked out.

"When I started I used to sleep at venues I performed at. I only accepted a gig if I knew I was going to be given a lift to the venue.

"I've never been bitter about any of my circumstances because I know my mother did her best to make sure I get my Matric.

Showing a face beaming with pride he says: "I wanted her to be proud of me and I know she is, because I'm the breadwinner now and I support a family of seven people, though I never graduated".

Fortunately this sad chapter of his life is now over and he has become an in-demand comedian.

Recently he also started to explore his acting talent.

"I featured in the comedy movie Taxi Ride in April last year and in December I wrapped up the filming of the Taxi Ride series," he says.

Last month Mapane was appointed an ambassador of the Gauteng Tourism Association.

- motaud@sowetan.co.za

Congrats kid but somehow you seem you were never serious about your education.When you are from a poor family and have a bursary,you needed to work like a slave,my advice is that you go back to school because i'm not going to listen to your comedy.

Jan 07, 2013 7:27 | 0 replies

From Engineering to Comedian.
Engineering is tough damn, anyway good thing you have a breakthrough

Jan 07, 2013 10:47 | 0 replies

Eish stop lialing toe. Yo homeless "I mainly slept at the Wits university computer labs during this sad part of my life but I had to be out by 7am," he recalls. Only fools can buy that story.

Jan 07, 2013 11:32 | 0 replies

"I support a family of seven people, though I never graduated"

Far too common a situation. If everyone had a job and was supporting themselves then we would have a far larger middle class in SA

Jan 07, 2013 11:42 | 0 replies

I did my Engineering Degree and graduated. So I can't learn anything from this or you. Feeding families is what we do as BLACK South African with or without any form of tertiary education. My advice will be to say; go back to school and get some education. I also find it easier to interact with individuals who have some form of tertiary education in terms of reasoning. Being a comedian is short term, imagine yourself 20 years from now as a Comedian?

Jan 07, 2013 1:47 | 0 replies

Not bad at all

Jan 07, 2013 2:58 | 0 replies

His story sounds bit engineered but hey, who am i to judge!

Jan 07, 2013 3:2 | 0 replies

patience is good indeed but not when things rest in someone elses hands, there u have to make the right decisions otherwise u will realise 20 yrs later that u r actualy waiting for the right train at the wrong station.

Jan 10, 2013 11:4 | 0 replies

member

well thats as real as it can get bro, mina i know more than one person who studied their teriary without any form of acormodation but a tv room, a box room, computer lan, and even lecture rooms, so if u had it smooth never assume everyone had it your way, ask some brothers from UKZN they will tell u some sad but funny stories about accomodation

Jan 10, 2013 11:15 | 0 replies

Manje mina i dnt care about your comedy or industrial eng. aka semhle aka semhle *singing* he nka ho thola fela, nka go dira yong. * joking san, Good Luck and congrats ka your endurance*

Jan 07, 2013 10:38 | 0 replies

Proud of you ntwana yam' it really shows that nothing is possible if you keep on pushing.I am greatly inspired to hear that your family comes first futhi uyabukeka umuhle it shows that you are not spending your time smoking trees.Keep up the good work.

Jan 07, 2013 10:31 | 0 replies