Fri Dec 19 01:03:16 SAST 2014
Oscar Pistorius arrives court sentencing
Headline grabbers of 2014

The year 2014 has certainly turned heads with quite a few attention grabbing headlines. We look back.

Going crazy for weaves

By Zoë Mahopo | Dec 28, 2012 | COMMENTS [ 25 ]

BONUS-bashing on a good quality weave is becoming a hair-raising festive trend.

Some women are willing to cough up amounts that could settle a month's rent.

"My husband freaked out when I told him how much I'm spending on my weave," says 27-year-old Nancy Ramovha. She paid R1,500 for the hairpiece, excluding the service of the hairdresser.

Ramovha says she wouldn't be caught dead wearing cheap hair.

"I hate how it does that cardboard thing at the back. I don't understand why people let it happen."

Relebogile Malele, 24, believes having good quality hair is ideal, but it is not the end of the world if you can't afford to get it done.

Celebrity hairstylist and salon owner Isaac Letele says some women would rather starve than walk around with hideous hair.

Letele says a few of his clients pay up to R8,000 for a full head. Good quality hair can cost you between R900 and R2,970 per weft or packet. You would need about three packets for a full head.

Reabetswe Matlhoko, 24, recently spent R3,000 on her 18-inch Brazilian hairpiece.

"I don't date broke guys, it defeats the purpose," says Matlhoko. Letele says: "Some of the working-class women ask for money from their boyfriends or ask for a loan from their friends."

He confesses to styling some of his clients "on a get your weave now, and pay for it later kind of arrangement".

Diva Divine Hair Company marketing manager Leonie Julius says, while they have a steady customer base throughout the year, they tend to experience a considerable upsurge of clientele during the festive season.

The growing trend of wearing the weave has seen more women preferring to have the human hair option as opposed to synthesised hair fibre that is made from plastic.

The Indian Remy, Brazilian and Malaysian extensions are noted as tops.

Statistics on mywage.co.za reveal that the average South African woman earns anything between R3,000 and R20,000, depending on her profession. This shows that at any given time some ladies end up paying a considerable chunk of their salary on getting a weave.

- This article was first published in the printed newspaper on 21 December 2012

Bloood prostitutes wasting money for nothing.

Dec 28, 2012 10:36 | 0 replies

@ Dubul'Amanzi

hi sweet luv... howz U ?? aren't U gonna spoil me with a Remmy Hairpiece, on my birthday this coming year ??? LOL

Dec 28, 2012 2:35 | 0 replies

MissBhakajuju-1

@ Dubul'Amanzi

*****
Hey sthandwa sam,u right?lol what is Remmy hairpiece?when its your birthday?

Dec 28, 2012 2:38 | 0 replies

these stupid blacks. other nations laugh at us for wanting to be them. why cant that R1000 be better spent at making your own hair look beautiful like other races do instead of buying another persons hair who probably died ages ago of god knows what..we are quite an embarrassment...i wait for the day we will be proud of who and what we are. io do not date these black gals cause you meet one now and wake up with another the next day when that dead haid is gone...sies

they wont even go to the beach or pool to enjoy themselves all because of that hair..u cant even touch your woman on the head all because of that hair. some of you will stink for days all because you wont wash that hair..must ride out the R1000 till the hair is on its last long dead strand..niyanyanyisa

Dec 28, 2012 2:49 | 0 replies

this is really what Zuma was talking of for real, is this really worth it hionestly.

Dec 31, 2012 11:15 | 0 replies

I seriously think 2013 should be a year where these famous noisemakers get decent education for themselves!! They can't be considered role models for anyone except township girls! The only thing any girl aspires for is material things and not education!! SABC production houses must start including tertiary qualifications for any television presenter! Uneducated, unlearned brats are a waste of time, space and matter!! As it is even their beloved Beyonce has no matric!! Beauty without brains!! Squeaky vibrating voice, queen of gyrating moves and no brainier!! Oprah must open up a college for these idiots.... It will be their glamorous ABET!

Dec 31, 2012 1:1 | 0 replies

I don't date broke guys, it defeats the purpose," says Matlhoko.
=============================================

@Retsoketswe Matlhoko.Skebereshe ndini,mdidi kanyoko whats wrong with paying for your own big head? nxa

Jan 02, 2013 8:50 | 0 replies

@Publc2

Kodwa inhlamba engaka kuqala unyaka nje? Ungenaphi manje umama walomntwana?

I'm also for natural african hair. Whatever hairstyle a woman does, it shouldn't interfere with your identity. E.g sometimes from far you'll think you are looking at an indian woman but as you get closer only to find that she's a black african woman. Beauty doesn't have to change you but enhance.

Jan 02, 2013 11:58 | 0 replies

.....And the winner in the category for Gold Digger of 2012 is Reabetswe Matlhoko.

Jan 02, 2013 1:20 | 0 replies

I dont date broke girls, you drive my car I drive yours! I dont want to go and pick a girl from her mom's place to my place, she needs to come to my house herself, the only place I can take her is OR Thambo when she is flying!

Jan 03, 2013 8:15 | 0 replies

@Charloo, have you asked your boyfriend how he feels about you having a weave?

Jan 07, 2013 8:49 | 0 replies