Jazz up for cold winter
BEAUTY stakes this winter is not for the faint-hearted or shy as drama is the order of the day.
Bouncy waves, voluminous blow-dries, bold eyes, hollowed-looking eyes and other daring looks will still dominate the streets.
To help those who are looking to jazz up their winter beauty regiment, Sowetan spoke to Athi Agbiriogu, beauty expert and owner of Radiant Diva Hair and Beauty Spa in Randburg, about the hottest make-up trends, haircare tips and cold-weather skincare routine that will help beat the chill.
Agbiriogu says hair and beauty has become something of a fashion statement lately.
She says this season as temperatures begin to cool, the world of beauty will continue to warm.
Agbiriogu says the dry winter air can dry out your hair causing breakage and/or a dry, flaky and itchy scalp. She advises people to take note of the following to avoid or minimise this:
- It is imperative that one deep conditions their hair irrespective of the hairstyle they use;
- Avoid exposing your hair to chemicals such as harsh relaxers and dyes that will further dry out your hair; and.
- Minimise the use of blow dryers, flat irons, curling irons, etc as they suck out the moisture and natural oils from your hair.
Best hairstyles for winter:
This season calls for easy, yet feminine hair.
- This season favours straight weaves as you can play around more with styles and curls. Those who want to add a little bit of glamour, long weaves are the order of the day. Bouncy waves and voluminous blow-dries are also the perfect way to enhance the glam look this season;
- For a bit of character or an edge, mix two colours or include some highlights in your choice of hair extensions; and
- Braids have long been a fashion staple and are still popular this season. Singles or twists, are also great for winter.
The winter look is not so plain Jane. It is bold eyes and subtle lips.
- Another weird trend is smudgy eyes. This winter, purple is quite en vogue so apply it with an ice pick shade as your base and a dark shade of brown for your outer corners.
- Other winter colours include your brown shades and green/lime. Play around with the different shades for your desired look. And, of course, the smoky eyes are for all seasons, especially at night.