Thu Sep 18 03:39:07 SAST 2014
5 things you should know about this week

It's very difficult to keep track of news amongst hundreds of headlines a day. So we will pick out t.

Weight good for pregnancy

By Nomaswazi Nkosi | Feb 07, 2012 | COMMENTS [ 38 ]

GAINING weight during pregnancy is expected, but appropriate weight gain can decrease the risk of complications during pregnancy.

The Association for Dietetics in South Africa (Adsa) says the composition of a woman's diet before, during and after pregnancy might influence the pregnancy, the delivery and the health of the mother and child.

The association advises women who plan to fall pregnant or who are pregnant to consult a registered dietitian to assess their nutrient needs and identify eating plans to meet these needs.

"The key components of a healthy lifestyle during pregnancy include appropriate weight gain, appropriate physical activity and enjoying a variety of foods," Berna Harmse, president of Adsa, says.

"When women choose to eat all kinds of junk foods then they run the risk of starving their unborn babies of the nutrients they need to grow healthily," dietician Carol Browne says.

On the one hand, not gaining enough weight during pregnancy means the unborn baby will not grow to its fullest potential and might have developmental problems after birth, Browne says.

gnna print this for my endless love....

Feb 07, 2012 9:36 | 0 replies

Informative indeed. If only people can understand that moderation is the name of the game, this "eating for two" excuse is just nonsense.

Feb 07, 2012 1:49 | 0 replies

@Buckselona

Dotn worry, nothing will happen to your baby. If you are really worried, next time she goes for her check up, bring it up with the gynea and take it from.

Before my pregnancy used to go to gym 5 day a week, only stopped when I found out I was preggies (2 months) and after the first trimerster (1-3 months) I asked my gynae if I can still go to gym and he was koay with it but warned me not to lift weights... lol.

It was fun but had to stop because of being patronised by fitness instructors, gym goers (they were treating me as if Im disabled). It really hit a raw nerve and screamed at the top of my voice and told them "I AM PREGNANT, I AM NOT SICK OR DISABLED.......... STOP TREATING ME LIKE A CHILD, I KNOW HOW TO STAND ON THE BOSU BALL" I tell you, you could hear a pin drop as everyone was surprised.

Feb 07, 2012 1:55 | 0 replies

nevus
Tsek
gnna print this for my endless love....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fotsek endless love ya eng ha o na niks o 1,o robala o le 1,o a inyakaza ebile wa ilamza
......................................................................................................................
hehehehehe im sure ke go tsietsi ngwanyana ko rusternburg the way o ratang sebon0 saka ka gona san

Feb 07, 2012 2:10 | 0 replies

eintlik who said ke tswa Rustyy?jou gat.

Feb 07, 2012 2:22 | 0 replies

What a badly written article !!!
Gaining a half ton or so is BAD for you and your baby. It is also not a bad thing if an obese mother loses weight during the pregnancy as that is natures way of trying to save the baby.

As for 'junk food' ! Pfft !!! What is 'junk food'? A pizza or a hamburger? A pregnant woman will eat what her body tells her to eat or her body will remove it from her body to feed the child. That is why women have cravings. It isn't some weird power play to make hubby go get icecream, it is her body saying it needs calcium or something else that it knows is in that icecream.

Feb 07, 2012 2:23 | 0 replies

__________________________________________________________________________________

This is all scientific knowledge and it is good, however it has its limits!!!! Children are a blessing from God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ; therefore instead of relying on men and human made assumptions; we need to be fervent in prayer prior to a pregnancy during the pregnancy and after the pregnancy

Feb 07, 2012 2:37 | 0 replies

@ Mskinky.I syggested that we ask the doctor first before she even started exercising but she just went straight ahead and exercised but i hope it doesnt affect my pumpkin pie.I think she will need the weight to ensure that the baby grows @ a normal rate and normal size.

Feb 07, 2012 2:42 | 0 replies

kanti futhi namadoda mawaqhubeke achame kakhulu ukuze ingane izovela/ ibelethwe inothile/ imqemani. all mens keep on pumping and have sex regulary to produce the healthy baby. womans they also gain weight because of versatile sperms we provide them with during intercourse.

Feb 07, 2012 2:46 | 0 replies

MsKinkyakaKamaSutra

Good to hear your little precious is progressing so well. May she go from strength to strength.

This is the exact reason that I got so angry with Black Lion a while ago. Blaming the mother for everything is just cruel. Even when the mother knows full well that it was through no fault of her own, she still beats herself up about it. The reality is that 'sh1t happens' - simple as that.

Blessings on you and your brave girl :)

Feb 07, 2012 3:4 | 0 replies

Buckselona

As long as she is feeling good and not trying out for the olympic shotput team, there is nothing wrong with her being active. In fact, it will make the birth and the recovery afterwards a lot easier. A happy mom makes a happy baby :)

Feb 07, 2012 3:5 | 0 replies