Tue Sep 16 13:26:04 SAST 2014
5 things you should know about this week

It's very difficult to keep track of news amongst hundreds of headlines a day. So we will pick out t.

Apostle goes beyond the call of God

By Gugu Sibiya | Apr 21, 2011 | COMMENTS [ 109 ]

IN THE same way that Jesus Christ ascended on a mountain to pray for 40 days in the desert, Apostle Simon Mokoena and his 60000 flock, who usually go to a mountain in QwaQwa, Free State, at Easter, will now go to a new home - intent on putting all their challenges to the only being who can make a difference in their lives, God.

Mokoena and his congregation will from tomorrow until Sunday embark on their annual Easter mission. The difference this time is that they will be going to their new home - the Tyrannus City of Zion - near Bloemfontein Airport.

Mokoena says: "I used to be a member of the Rhema Church and when the Spirit of God approached me to do His work, I became Pastor Ray McCauley's student in 1995. After graduating, God led me to forming my own ministry.

"That is when I realised there are so many souls in dire need of God's grace. I feel so humbled and blessed that since that day, God has been taking the ministry from glory to glory."

Blessed with a beautiful, powerful voice, Mokoena also chose a musical journey in his life.

"Music is not only beautiful and a potent healer of the soul, but it is another vehicle that can be used to praise and worship God. That's what led me to start singing hymns and choruses in Sesotho.

"This not only made me happy, but it empowered my congregation and those who buy my music to understand clearly what is being said so that they can relate better instead of becoming detached, thanks to language barriers.

"Our ancestors never spoke the Queen's language (English) but they still managed to connect with God. Most of our members, especially the elderly, love the fact that in our church we pray, preach and sing in Sesotho."

This is something that has seeped deeply into his music, finding favour with his growing fan base.

When he started Tyrannus, Mokoena never dreamt that he would reach cult status and earn the respect and attention he so effortlessly commands.

To date, he has four albums under his belt. Lefika laka seems to have found resonance with the masses and he believes it has already changed lives.

"The deeper you get into your career, the more you learn what people want. The message and content on the album is for people who are in pain and disappointment. Through it, they will understand themselves and heal," Mokoena says.

Amicable, reflective and dignified, the revered apostle says that in his albums, the latest of which is Hlabelela, he has fused old and new hymns as well as new compositions. "I wanted to stay where people were moving away from, forgetting that our language is rich with idioms."

Mokoena has recently signed a contract with EMI for the distribution of Bawo. "I suppose things would have fallen into place with my other albums - like Baba Hamba Nathi, Jehova Modimo and Modimo Wa Ntate - if I was not focusing on building the church."

BESIDES his church and music, Mokoena shares the word of God with thousands ofviewers on e.tv, SABC1 and Gaborone TV.

Mokoena has also developed a reputation for helping the destitute without being coerced. He is known for rebuilding people's destroyed houses, regardless of their church affiliation, and helping students.

Recently, he helped a boy, Itumeleng Mocwa, who suffered from severe asthma and needed a machine to help him breathe. The boy could neither play nor go to school. The machine has made a huge difference in his life.

"It is our prayer that God helps the ministry to build a village that will develop and make the people of God self-sufficient," Mokoena says.

"It is good to pray but it is also good to see your dreams realised, then it becomes easier to testify on God's miracles," says the apostle who is forever on a mission to help make other people's lives easier.

@Spaceboi, All we know you is that She was very young and a Pure Virgin at the time. Wouldn't want to be drawn into speculations about her exact age..

Apr 21, 2011 2:16 | 0 replies

My closing remarks: Let us remember that this weekend we are celebrating the death, burial and resurrection on our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The only one who came to die for us all so that we will not perish but have eternal life. If you are not saved you are not safe, make this prayer and may God bless you this weekend.. "LORD JESUS, I THANK YOU FOR HAVING DIED ON THE CROSS OF CALVARY FOR MY SINS, I CONFESS WITH MY MOUTH THAT YOU'RE LORD AND I BELIEVE IN MY HEART THAT GOD HAS RAISED FROM THE DEAD, FORGIVE MY SINS AND MAKE ME A CHILD OF GOD FROM TODAY".. If you have prayed this prayer God has heard you and has written your name in the lamb's book of life.. See you on the other side

Apr 21, 2011 4:32 | 0 replies

Look for a man who displays kindness, humility, compassion, forgiveness and gentlenss ...and you will find Jesus. And once you have found Him, look no further.

Apr 22, 2011 8:48 | 0 replies

Just another money making scam - like all the other charismatic churches. "Rhema Cauley" is the biggest fraud of the lot!

Apr 22, 2011 9:40 | 0 replies

@WISEMAN,(and all haters)so boring and so yesterday
you seem to be type the of person suffering from: PULL HIM DOWN SYNDROME..unlike u
he is appreciated and admired by many..and damn he so handsome,unlike your poor
ill-speaking,discouraged self... continuing labeling men of God as false,simply bcos they dont measure up
to your LOW,LOW,LOW self...through a pity party for yourself kid!

Apr 22, 2011 8:12 | 0 replies

Never judge people

Apr 23, 2011 8:10 | 0 replies

@Wiseman
I perceive that you are a genuine follower of Jesus, the Son of God Almighty.
Jesus put out a warning when his disciples secretly came to Him, wanting to know what will be the "signs"of His second coming (they wanted inside info)...and remember, He was also sitting in a mountain...

Matthew 24:3-5 "And as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? And what shall be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the world? (4) And Jesus answered and said to them, Take heed that no man deceive you. (5) For many will come in My name, saying, I am Christ, and will deceive many."

Apr 23, 2011 12:44 | 0 replies

i Wish Mr Mokoena would tell his followers where tirano came from because its built on a shaky foundation. Mr Mokoena's wife is a Member of Tirano School of Repentance started my Mme Rose Letaonana 43 years ago and headquarted in Jabulani, Soweto. Mokoena's Mamazala, Mme Mthembu is a Senior Director of Tirano and is based in Pinville, Soweto and has branches all over the country. Mr Mokoena was a pastor in QwaQwa and realised the multitudes of people of his wifes church and decided to come to Tirano in Soweto and was taught by Mme Mofokeng (Head of Tirano), Mme Mthembu and his wife sbongile. He then started tirano and told people that God showed him Tyrannus (English translation of Tirano) on a mountain which is not true, this is why they separated from his wife. He copied his ministry and "revelations" mainly from Mme Mofokeng in Soweto and IPCC. i am not against Ntate Mokoena i wish that him ministry grow further and reach all corners of the world but the truth shall set him and his people free.

Apr 24, 2011 4:51 | 0 replies

@JerryM,we thank you for your time to lie to us...it's good to know,that there are people
like yourself who pay; ATTENTION TO DETAIL to every good thing that's happening out there
i don'it know tirano,but simply don't like to entertain people who don't APPRECIATE A GOOD THING!
It's not a bad thing to be a tjatjarag...it's free publicity for Mr Mokoena and his people..keep up the good work. and the church will continue to grow while you watch,keep watching good things.

Apr 24, 2011 6:26 | 0 replies

I agree with you Wiseman. I tried to listen to his messages so many times but I don't hear him talking about the word of God, he only talk about himself and I have a problem with that. You only find the power of God in His word and if he doesn't talk about God or His word, whose power is he using? He guy is misleading people, PERIOD. He is sending multitudes of people to hell.

@Cope, I don't mind mega churches and in fact I believe in signs and wonders. I believe in the word of God and if the word is not there, it means God himself is not there. Jesus healed the sick, cast out demons and raised the dead and I believe in that too because He in His word that we will do greater things than those that He did and all that can only be done in Jesus Name and word of God should be preached.

Apr 24, 2011 8:11 | 0 replies

@ Wiseman all so true what you are saying and qouting , but we need to pray more for the church of God , so that the spirit of God can expose all such Pastors , for I bealive that it is a spirit that rules upon them , some may not be aware that they no longer operate with the spirit of a leaving God .

Apr 25, 2011 10:20 | 0 replies