BuzzFeed Life went on a fact finding mission by contacting experts to check the validity of the clai.
Jay-Z’s relationship with his personal chef has ended on a sour note, the NYPost reports.
The hip-hop star’s famed Manhattan 40/40 Club has served up a $1.5 million federal lawsuit against Mike Shand, who was tapped to run the nightspot’s kitchen after cooking on tour for both Jay-Z and wife Beyoncé.
But court papers charge that Shand “failed to perform on significant aspects” of a deal to beef up the menu for the luxury sports bar’s $10 million reopening earlier this year.
As a result, Jay-Z and partner Juan Perez were unable to deliver promised offerings, “costing the club lost profits, loss of good will [and] alienation of clientele”, the suit says.
The Manhattan court filing adds, “The club has not been able to adequately replace the items and services defendant was paid to provide.”
The 40/40 Club’s online menu currently features souped-up, sports-bar fare such as “40/40 Nachos” for $11, “Herb Crusted Mac ’n’ Cheese” for $12 and “Flame Grilled Tequila Chicken Breast” for $24.
Shand, who court papers say now lives in California, didn’t return an e-mail. His lawyer, Vik Pawar, said, “Mike’s a great chef, and it is unclear why 40/40 would contemplate a lawsuit against him. Nevertheless, we will respond accordingly when he gets served with the complaint.”
Meanwhile, Jay-Z and Beyoncé have been keeping a low profile in the Hamptons since taking residence out east in a $400,000-a-month Bridgehampton rental, Sandcastle.
Sources say the couple have been hosting intimate dinners with friends, and on Saturday, Jay and Bey hosted dinner for 20 friends including their best buddies Gwyneth Paltrow and Coldplay lead singer Chris Martin.