Show goes on for Isidingo despite fire
ISIDINGO fans can breathe a sigh of relief.
Their favourite soapie will not halt production though a fire razed one of its production studios on Wednesday night.
An investigation is under way into the cause of the fire.
The set of the popular SABC3 soapie might have been razed to the ground, halting production, but the corporation has assured the show's legions of loyal fans that all is well because several episodes had been shot in advance.
SABC acting chief operations officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng said it would take the production companies and SABC a few months to return operations to normal.
He said: "The production of Isidingo will not be affected since interim measures have been put in place to ensure recording continues.
"It must be noted that all three our soapies - SABC 1's Generations, SABC 2's Muvhango and Isidingo - record for few months in advance and utilise five studio floors."
Motsoeneng pointed out that the SABC has five studios that are used to produce dramas and only one of them has burnt down.
"This means production will continue and the public need not panic thinking the production of their favourite soapies might be affected.
"We are doing our utmost to ensure that things return to normal and the recording sets are rebuilt speedily."
The SABC said the damages were estimated at millions of rands and the investigating team would be able to determine the exact value once they finalised investigations.
"We will be able to offer more details around the recovery period."
lIsidingo was created by Gray Hofmeyr and the soapie premiered on SABC3 in July 1998 and has been widely hailed as a breakthrough in local television. The soapie has bagged about 26 television statuettes. - firstname.lastname@example.org