Thu Dec 18 13:25:42 CAT 2014
Oscar Pistorius arrives court sentencing
Headline grabbers of 2014

The year 2014 has certainly turned heads with quite a few attention grabbing headlines. We look back.

Slikour: it's about pride

By Sbusiso Shongwe | Apr 20, 2012 | COMMENTS [ 130 ]

MUSICIAN Slikour says he is misunderstood by many South Africans.

Slikour, real name Siyabonga Metane, has come under attack recently over his latest release.

The hip-hop star's new song, Blackz are Foolz, has not gone down well with black people and has been the talk of the town and centre of debates in the townships.

Music fans protested and called radio stations, saying the musician insulted his own people.

But he says if people expect him to bow to pressure and apologise, that is neither here nor there.

"This is not a PR stunt, the fact that I have put it online for free download. I am advocating for black pride among black people, myself included. We need to stop relying on the government, on what it can do for us. It's a black syndrome that needs to be cured by us blacks," he told Sowetan.

Perhaps his growing up as a child is a picture that reflects his view of the world.

"I was the only black boy in a class of white kids and probably the only black child in my township who went to a multi-racial school. I was conscious at the age of 9 about the politics of this country. I could not understand why these white kids could have money and lunch boxes when I could not."

Being a child with an inquisitive mind about the politics of the times, he made it his duty to go against the normalities of life as a boy who could not afford to have money.

"I started stealing things from wherever I could spot something worth selling. I sold games to white kids and in the township, that money I saved for a greater cause.

"I am a creator, a distributor and investor. I knew then that I would not succumb to the trend of 8 to 5 routine job."

In the song he says black people are fools, "They just wanna be fresh, and they wanna be cool, give them a little money and they think they rule. But I hope we better than that.

"Nowadays it's all about money and political favours. Is BEE the only way to be something?"

He clarifies that he is not the one who says blacks are stupid, it is the other races who are saying that to us: "It's always 'you guys are lazy, you guys don't want to work, you guys are messing up the country' and other bad comments. Some of which are true".

Slikour says he is open to learning from others, hence he has received positive comments from people who asked him what needs to be done to help change the mentality.

"I tell them about Asia, about the Jews cultivating the culture of self-reliance, how they buy their own products while we are busy trying to keep up with the Jones.

"I wrote this song two years ago but I was not ready to release it then, now that I am ready, I will try to advocate that mentality whenever the chance avails itself, to change one mind at a time."

Mopedi_Thwiii
If you don't love the song and is played on radio, change to another station....Hiphop is not for Sissies/pu$$yboys

what are you on about? the song is referring to fulz like you!

Apr 20, 2012 10:17 | 0 replies

candilious
@manyobaa-Listen to the song the nyou can come and call people DOM KOP" but then again its been proven By you what he means
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My sister! africans need experational songs, not the rumblings of an untalented hip hop copy cat artist.

Apr 20, 2012 10:52 | 0 replies

@manyobaa
Did you listen to the song?
ARE YOU SENDING ME ASSIGNMENT QUESTIONS NOW? This cheeseboy should have sang about his not so good loking family instead of attacking the africans, whether i listened to the song or not is not the point. If he cant create songs, then he must try other traids.
________________________

Not at all, personally I am trying to collect different opinions from people who've listened to the song. I cant listen to rap or this new music, I think its trashy. Would have been nice to hear your opinion on the song...pity you didn't listen to it.

Apr 20, 2012 10:55 | 0 replies

I dont think he meant well with the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Eid6CnsaYI

Apr 20, 2012 10:56 | 0 replies

So what? Nihlale nifuna ukutetenyiswa njalo nje nina. Mina ngoba ngiyazi ukuthi akasho kimi, anginandaba nje. Kodwa uma wazi ukuthi usho kuwe, kuyazwela. Thunuk' enenxeba...

Apr 20, 2012 11:0 | 0 replies

Babongs
______________________________

Thank you Sisi, I listened to the song. I don't think it's bad. But I dont like rap. Whatever happened to real singing?

Apr 20, 2012 11:5 | 0 replies

@manyobaa
Ramatlhale
On point my brotha, should the song have been titled otherwise no-one will be talking It's about time we confront this bloo.dy elephant and stop the mental colonization happening to our nation!!!

"We are not born to be servants but we are being bred to serve the purpose"
you should THINK about changing your name "TO DOM KOP"!
____________________________________________

If you honestly believe in the kind of baseless rubbish you post on this blog......then you are just another useless entity who's a waste of valuable space on this earth!!!!

Apr 20, 2012 11:13 | 0 replies

- Mandela said "never, never and never again......."

- i gues kungena kulenye indlebe kuphume kwenye

- Never call someone a fool or agree with one saying that

MAT 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Apr 20, 2012 11:16 | 0 replies

I understant you boy, but the way you say it, is wrong

Apr 20, 2012 11:16 | 0 replies

yoh coconut SLIKOUR - a fool is an unitelligent person - for you to generalise like that is just wrong - so you are actually in agreement with the other nations calling us (black people) fools, that you had to write a song to tell us we are fools. ya neh o liver waitse...

Apr 20, 2012 11:23 | 0 replies